- SAAM Towage
- Prince Rupert, British Columbia
- 39.75 per hour + benefits, pension, etc. under the ILWU Collective Agreement
- January 23, 2023
- February 23, 2023
- Transportation and Couriers
- Contract Type
- Full Time
As a Deckhand at SAAM TOWAGE CANADA, you will play a crucial role in ensuring the safe and efficient operation of the assigned vessel, its machinery, and equipment according to the assigned operations. You will work as part of a team to provide exceptional, safe, towage services beyond expectations.
- Start up and shut down all machinery as required and in accordance with the vessel’s specific checklist and in preparation for the start or finalization of every operation.
- Adhere to all safety, health, environmental, and quality (SHE-Q) policies of the company to comply with industry regulations and to ensure a zero or close to zero incident rate. This includes continuous use of all PPE, participation in emergency drills, and reporting of all incidents as per prescribed procedures, among other duties.
- Operate equipment and assist with duties as assigned by the Master, including any relevant maneuvers to secure or unsecure the tug, line maneuvering and repairing, winch towing or anchoring, and in general, any operation needed to optimize the safe operation of the tug.
- Conduct periodic checks through all the tugboat, including the engine room, keep track and report all deficiencies to the Master and to the Maintenance Department and follow up on developments and repairs to look after tug’s safety and preventive maintenance.
- In charge of replenishing and keeping optimal maintenance of all safety equipment onboard, including medical equipment, first aid, and safety gear.
- Maintain the cleanliness of all the vessel at all times and contribute to its maintenance with chipping and painting or other light duties as instructed.
Qualifications and Requirements:
- Must possess a valid unrestricted SVMO CoC.
- Preference will be given to those candidates holding a Master 150GRT Domestic CoC.
- Up-to-date marine medical and marine basic first aid certification
- Minimum Class 7 driver's license is required to ensure operational safety.
- Must be able to attend work in a call-out rotation schedule with limited time between calls.
- Must be or become a member in good standing of the ILWU.
- Strong problem-solving skills, business acumen, clear communication, friendly attitude, and organizational skills.
- You must be a resident of Prince Rupert or be located within 30-60 minutes of the location.
At SAAM TOWAGE CANADA, we value our employees and provide them with a comprehensive benefits package through their Union. In addition to excellent extended health and dental services, we offer group life and AD&D insurance, short and long-term disability, and contributions to pension plans. Our team is dedicated to providing mentorship and opportunities for growth, and we offer performance rewards to recognize our employees' hard work and dedication. Our vision is to stand out as one team, delivering safe towage services beyond expectation. Join us and be a part of our mission.
SAAM TOWAGE CANADA is committed to Employment Equity, supports diversity in the workplace, and encourages applications from all qualified individuals including women, members of visible minorities, Indigenous persons, and persons with disabilities.
We would like to express our gratitude for your consideration of this position. Please note that only candidates who meet the minimum requirements will be contacted.
SAAM TOWAGE CANADA recognizes that we operate on the traditional and unceded territories of Indigenous Peoples in Canada, specifically in Prince Rupert, on the traditional territories of the 9 Allied Tribes of the Lax Kw’alaams and Metlakatla Nations.